Friday 6 January 2017

Photography is, first of all, a way of seeing


I was reading 'On Photography' by Susan Sontag and I was just extremely marvelled at the wonder of it all. I have not heard of Sontag before but I am so glad I have now. The first chapter alone is amazing. The first few pages talk about the brilliance of photography and how it has been used to compose "mighty, unforgettable photographs to show something out there" with the different techniques and photographers who apply them as reference. I love how she includes a variety of genres and contrasts between the similarities and difference. Going through the history of photography and the rise from a photographer's perspective. It really leaves you feeling educated and inspired.

"There is an aggression implicit in every use of the camera"
Day 6 of 365

The language is beautiful and honestly transformed the experience from homework to insight. I learnt things that now seem so obvious yet captivating to understand, if you're someone who enjoys sociology and photography this is a great book for you. I'd also like to recommend it for anyone who like to take pictures for social media because that's really a merge of the two subjects in action and would seriously help level up your game when  taking photos either from artist research or knowing what was popular in photography and to now find out what will be. The analogies are hilarious and kept me reading, which is hard to find in a book so don't worry it does not feel like a chore at all.

"The omnipresence of camera persuasively suggests that time consists of interesting events, events worth photographing"

I like how lots of people emphasise that photography shows a story and meanings on taboo topics but then Sontag opens your eyes to some real truths; which makes you think deeper when taking a picture. There's some great anologies from other photographers and movies too. I now feel more dominant when taking pictures and responsible for the control of immortalising the slice of a memory. It's made me fall in love with photography again.

"To take a picture is to have an interest in things as they are"

Sontag, S. (1977). In Plato's Cave. In: On Photography. London: Puffin Books. 1-16.
I'm on a roll with these super long posts aren't I? But I love Sontag and her work has inspired me so much and I think it's such a great book and in today's society practically everyone would find helpful and enjoy!